Thank you for the honor of allowing me to serve as your 2018~2020 Corresponding Secretary. The duties of this office include: preparation of the Calls and CFWC Yearbook, sending correspondence as directed by the President and Executive Board, and performing other duties as listed in the bylaws. The Club’s Corresponding Secretary is the link to your community and the club’s correspondence reflects the organization. It is important to establish a procedure for this office if there is none.
- All correspondence is important, courtesy demands prompt attention and it should be answered within 24 hours of receipt. When possible, use an official letterhead which includes: the club’s name, "Member of (name) District, California Federation of Women’s and General Federation of Women’s Clubs" as well as your Federal EIN.
- When writing to government officials, use the proper address, salutation and closing.
- It is important that the content be stated clearly, concisely and effectively.
- Informal notes may be typed or handwritten. These might include invitations or thank you notes. Invitations should include what, when and where, with specific directions if needed.
- Spelling: use a dictionary or spell check, to review punctuation and grammatical errors.
- Date correspondence when received. Prepare a list for the President and Recording Secretary.
- When reading correspondence at a meeting, summarize when possible. Confer with the President regarding the correspondence that is to be read. Remove letters from envelopes and underline or highlight the portions to be read. State the sender’s name and to whom the correspondence was sent before reading the letter.
- Keep a file of incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Check with the President before discarding any letters or documents.
- Keep materials organized so another person can easily take over the position, if necessary. Make sure that copies are clear and readable.
- Keep a record of expenses. This is helpful for preparing budgets and assists the incoming secretary in knowing what was spent to do the job properly.
- Any current edition on business writing and business English. A dictionary and a Thesaurus. Current GFWC/CFWC Procedure/Yearbook, GFWC Stylebook, GFWC Club Manual, District/Club Yearbooks.
WE NEED YOUR HELP WITH FACES OF THE PAST!
“Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.”
― M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
“CFWC Keeping Up With The Times"
California Federation of Women's Clubs