The California Federation of Women’s Clubs (CFWC) is a statewide 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization established in 1900.
CFWC’s motto, “Strength United is Stronger,” reminds us that in unity there is strength and, through the united efforts of California’s club members, it is possible to accomplish many things for the benefit of people in our communities and throughout the state.
The California Federation of Women’s Clubs (CFWC) is affiliated with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service for more than 126 years. The clubs of CFWC are located throughout California, with the primary purposes of carrying out charitable service programs, providing leadership opportunities, and enriching the lives of its members through personal growth.
History of the GFWC
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. With nearly 80,000 members and affiliated clubs in every state and a dozen countries, GFWC members support a broad range of causes and charitable projects in their communities. GFWC’s roots began in 1868 when journalist Jane Cunningham Croly attempted to attend an event at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Ms. Croly was denied admittance because of her gender, and in response, she formed a woman’s club – Sorosis. Two decades later, women’s clubs throughout the United States were invited to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. In April 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.