About

California Federation of Women’s Clubs (CFWC) is affiliated with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.

History of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs

The General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC) is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.  With nearly 80,000 members and affiliated clubs in every state and a dozen countries, GFWC members support a broad range of causes and charitable projects in their communities.  GFWC’s roots began in 1868 when journalist Jane Cunningham Croly attempted to attend an event at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Ms. Croly was denied admittance because of her gender, and in response, she formed a woman’s club – Sorosis. Two decades later, women’s clubs throughout the United States were invited to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. In April 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. 

Visit the GFWC Website

  • Playa Del Rey